« Home | New York City   » | Peeking!   » | Statue of Liberty  » | Grand Central  » | Grand Central  » | Grand Central  » | Times Square  » | Times Square   » | Internet connection » | Dewy morning » 

Friday, May 13, 2005 

Some rants..

I'll try to post more pictures in when I can have them here.

Meanwhile, let me rant about the still-hot-and-humid as ever weather that we are having. Yea yea, I know, give it a break, we should be thankful bla bla....this is the tropics, it's paradise....bla bla. Even Datuk Badawi's predecessor once said that we should be thankful for our weather because the humidity helps moisturise our skin. I find that kinda true. Dry weather, or low humidity can do wonders on your lips and face. I've had chapped lips, lip cuts, and dry skin when the moisture in the air is low. As if the ads in the media isn't enough to fire our sensibility askew with its myriad of advertisements and amazing claims of wonder. Dove incorporates 1/4 moisturizer in their products...or at least that's what you've been told. In truth, I've actually used them way back when I was in primary school. Back then, Dove was practically unheard of in Malaysia. Pretty much of the toiletries my family used were basically alien here. This shouldn't be misconstrued that we don't use known brands here. We did and still do. LuX was one of them. I actually grew up using glycerin transparent soaps. I remember how I used to amazed at its translucence. Alright, back to the topic at hand, Dove International and our ASEAN-region Dove actually do have its discrepancies. The rationale behind this disparity is that locally-sourced ingredients are incorporated to lower costs and establish a local identity by using local ingredients. There's nothing wrong with this and all, but upon closer inspection, you'll find that the main soaping agent are totally different among others. I guess consumer awareness isn't as good as it is overseas. I'm not waxing lyrical about the wonders of first-world countries, but matters such as these are close to me especially when it involves the ones that I care. I'm only highlighting one of the many products that are in the market that while meeting local consumer standards and inspections, but totally lacking in international regulation and bodies.

When it comes to foodstuff, products such as Twisties and Pringles come to mind. (I'm typing straight off my mind here...help me) Twisties is actually only sold in Malaysia because it doesn't pass international regulations. Also, if you've tasted the newer "locally-made" Pringles, they taste totally different from the Pringles of yore. :/

I hate it.... Bring back the old days.....

|
eXTReMe Tracker
Inaesb Inc 2006 - 07