« Home | Lovingly yours... » | Happy Birthday, Philip! :) » | Busted! Sigh.. » | This warrants some investigation... » | Order in chaos » | Happy Birthday! » | Bangsa Malaysia » | 1 November 2006 » | Hijacked! » | September 29, 2006 » 

Thursday, November 23, 2006 

Whiffs of a scandal...Freedom of speech.

Just thought I'd add some fuel to the already nice and boiling issue.. :P I'm bored from doing my coursework anyway.

In the headlines of the NST today, the current Deputy Prime Minister of Malaysia, Datuk Seri Najib Razak said and I quote:

"There may have been some delegates who went overboard in thier speeches, prompted by the atmosphere of the general assembly.

"They may have felt that by doing so, their speeches would be better received by the other delegates. They have a tendency to play to the gallery.


The NST reported that 'the party had identified several speeches which were deemed "exteme", and would leave it to the "relevant authorities" to take action.'

I'm an advocate of free speech and although the sentiments and issues raised was on the polemics of race the tone and "flavour" of some of the speeches are totally soaked with extreme racial undertones. As such, some has taken offence and much debate has been going around. Granted, we live in a 'rojak' (Datuk Rais, please correct me..) country and this may lead to some tension as well as disharmony but well, it is up to the speaker's discretion to say his piece. I do not think there was any guideline nor protocol but merely a silent understanding of not 'heating up' the hall with extremist opinions. Personally, I was quite shocked with all the keris-kissing antics (with all due respect on the symbolism of the Malay culture) but I guess it was because it was the first time I actually saw it unsheathed in a meeting where words, and not action, takes centrestage. Also I was a little bit offended-lah, but I take it all with a pinch of salt, and take comfort in knowing that these people are no way above the average intellect of the frogs we see under the coconut shell.Yet it's scary that these are also the very people that are representing us...but I digress. Hmm..where was I?

Yea, speakers, pandai-pandailah...jangan terbawa-bawa diri. Anyway, the issue is between freedom of speech and the protection of harmony post May 13. There is a delicate balance to be struck between these 2 and to side anyone would have its own pros and cons. Which should it be? I would err on the side of freedom because I believe that the people of today is a lot more ...erm...not cultured, not civilized...erm, yea, more secular and would know better than to believe every single thing said. Then again, the herd mentality of the majority is also a cause for concern as my belief may not actually be rooted in the evidence of a higher society in Malaysia. For all I know, I may be wrong in saying that our people has learned not to accept without question and in taking things for granted. Taking into account of the level of discourse and statements taking place among the upper echelons of the political stratosphere, (note doing stupid things in space, equity calculations, new palace wth? among many others), we may have yet to reach that level where freedom of speech is truly emancipated.

To conclude, ideally, I am still rooting for freedom of speech but the reality of the situation is such that it is impossible.

The link to the NST report.

These are some extra spices to make the scandal soup more tasty. :)

It seems a certain Deputy Prime Minister who is currently holding the post was in the past embroiled in a scandal with Ziana Zain. How far this is true I do not know nor do I allege but I would sure endeavour to find out. However, due to the fact that these sorta things get hushed up pretty quick and coupled with the fact that electronic resources on things political in Malaysia don't get much coverage, if any, on the Internet, I would never conclusively know for sure.

However, I do suspect, strongly, that there used to be some sort of relationship. Oh well..if anyone do know, please let me know. I love adding to my general knowledge. :)

And this same person, who used to be a Youth Head was also documented as having made inflammatory remarks. Keris soaked with chinese blood?? Of course, I would appreciate any evidence of the contrary.

I found this out from here. Thanks to FlyontheWall for the permission to link. :)

And as I have stated above that it is also this very person issuing a statement that said the 'fiery speakers' who 'played to the gallery' would face action. If the extra spices I know is to be true, then whatever he did back in his heyday would dwarf any 'fiery speaker' of today.

Funny how power changes people...I wonder if there is anyone in the political scene that is not a hypocrite?

|
eXTReMe Tracker
Inaesb Inc 2006 - 07