« Home | Microsoft or Tomato? » | Tribute to Ms. Brinda » | Melancholic Musing » | Da Vinci Code » | Jih Houh! » | I hold the world in my hands.. » | Mommmm!!! » | Ah... » | Fallen hopes » | Deja Vu » 

Saturday, June 17, 2006 

World Cup Mania

With the World Cup still high on the list of priorities on many people, I felt that I have to just post my 2cents worth of what has culminated from long hours in front of big screens and sleep-deprivation.

I don't really enjoy watching football. I do tune to watch it sometimes, but I don't make it a priority to watch ALL the matches, nor can I rattle off names of famous players, teams, and the like. I do however, like to play it, but my feet has never kissed a football in recent times.

Having confessed my shallow knowledge in the glamourous world of the English Premier Leagues, Spanish Leagues, German Leagues, South American Leagues... I can go on and on... I however respect those with in-depth knowledge of these trivias.

Apart from that, the fact that the tables on almost all eateries offering wide-screen TVs playing the World Cup matches 'live' have choked-full patronage should mean something to everyone. Sports really do bring people together. Also, eateries like the 'mamak' really make a shitload of money during these times. So... my advice to any eatery that opens way up to 5 a.m. to install a big screen TV and play the World Cup matches and watch the bling-blings roll in. This is a goldmine and an fantastic opportunity to tap into vast psyche of Malaysian sport afficionados.

But the dark underbelly of this mania too is rising up to the surface. Loan sharks are trying to cash in during these times as people bet on matches, legally and illegally. Just the other day, when I just finished watching a match, a guy just gets up and starts walking from table to table dropping an 'Ah Long' namecard that provide 'credit services'. It's amazing the level of entrepreneurialism that has cumulated thus far in the business of 'Ah Longs'.

A confession.. My finger too has its fair share of the pie. But not to trouble anyone (hehe..shh) reading this, it's just my pinkie, i.e. just a small finger. Don't worry.

I digress... Just a word of caution, don't bite more than you can chew. Betting is fun, but just be cautious.

Whops.... Italy's coming up. I gotta run.

-Peace out-

|
eXTReMe Tracker
Inaesb Inc 2006 - 07