« Home | Amanah Saham 1Malaysia » | Selamat Jalan S.R.T.! :) » | Jubilations! » | Come Let's Play » | Do we really know what we want? » | Moonwalk Tragedy and Angel Mourn » | Washing without water? » | Mir-Hossein Mousavi vs Mahmoud Ahmadinejad » | Zen Moment 2 » | Gratulujem! » 

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 

Not another movie list!

In between reading fiction and gorging on typically unhealthy Malaysian fare, I’ve managed to see quite a lot of movies. Courtesy of my sister’s stash, of course. Gone are days when I can get them off college friends and housemates. I still have the internet, but sadly not the patience to go through searching the files and then waiting another day or two for it to be completely downloaded. That’s a rant for another day…

Going back to the movies, there are few that I would recommend if anyone should feel like catching a good flick or two. A note though, is that these movies are not blockbusters and they are also not easily available here, so it’s best to perhaps get it online or perhaps from me.

Le Papillon – touchingly heartwarming and leaves you with a serious fuzz in the tums. It’s about a little girl (she’s so adorable!) and her relationship with a gruff neighbour who is an old man who collects butterflies. They go on a journey to catch an elusive butterfly and in the process taught each other the deeper meanings of life.

It’s all in French so unless you can understand it, subtitles would be highly recommended.

History Boys – This is a great story that revolves around a bunch of pre-University boy students trying to get admissions into Oxbridge. What struck me most is how it also reminds me of the Malaysian education system and its emphasis on exams. With a brilliant cast and smooth writing, this is a modern day Mr. Holland’s Opus.

Love and Other Disasters – a light movie that delightfully weaves through the themes of love and sexuality. It is very tastefully written and premiered in the UK last year in the London Gay and Lesbian Film Festival. It was actually produced much earlier but has remained relatively low-key. The philosophy of “true love” is also discussed in this movie albeit not as deep as I would have liked. This is also another pet topic that I like…

A memorable scene in the movie is where a gay protagonist is given advice on relationships by a shrink using the analogy of farting. Very creative!

Having listed this three, there are a few more gems that I would like to share but they will come in another post. I have avoided discussing the movies in length lest I destroy the joy of watching them for you. However, a caveat – these are light movies and personally I find them to be very interesting.

|

About me

  • I'm Inaesb
  • Who you ask?
Don't click this
Syndicate this site (XML) Subscribe with FeedBurner feed
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
eXTReMe Tracker
Inaesb Inc 2006 - 07