« Home | Decisions decisions decisions » | My Dolce Vita » | Out with the old, in with the new » | Prodigal son » | Mosquitoes. » | Hobo Lady » | A Christmas Carol » | My November Rain » | choke cough die » | f.o.o.d. » 

Monday, January 26, 2009 

Sleep my sweet...sleep.

I like mandarin oranges. A lot. Well, the taste is alright but what I like more is when I peel them. Have I got your attention? Good… 

I love oranges and I have one each morning. Mandarin oranges are however my favourite fruit for distressing. Not so much that it contains any special properties that lower whatever stress hormone or any of that sort but rather the way the fruit is made.

You see, I love peeling them. I like peeling off the outer skin quickly. Then begins the almost ritualistic journey of slowly stripping the now peeled orange of the fibrous veins that envelope the fruit. Yea, the pale yellow lines of fiber that criss-cross the fruit. I like to slowly remove them…vein by vein…fiber by fiber.. I find this to be very relaxing. I will take my time as I move from each piece of the fruit..

Once I’m done, then I’ll slowly savour the fruit, also piece by piece. The highlight is definitely the peeling part. It is so relaxing for me. Perhaps it is also a good thing that during Chinese New Year, the flurry of activities and family social calendar gets so packed that one finds it almost stifling. Then I can slowly peel the mandarin oranges to soothe myself. It’s too bad that the fruit is seasonal. I also have replacement in the local mandarins and I find that the local fibers are a lot more stringy and there seems to be more of them than the usual Chinese New Year mandarins.

There, another anecdote to share. Happy Chinese New Year!  Or should I say, Happy Chinese “Niu” Year! :D

|
eXTReMe Tracker
Inaesb Inc 2006 - 07